JOB TITLE: Director of Engineering
REPORTS TO: VP, Engineering and Data Science
In 1996 StatRad helped pioneer teleradiology services. In 2011 StatRad led the charge to move medical imaging into the cloud with its image sharing product RadConnect deployed in Microsoft Azure. With both business segments thriving StatRad looks to the future by pushing into new medical imaging frontiers utilizing modern technology and software platforms.
We embrace distributed development as a core tenant of our corporate philosophy. Our engineers coordinate their work in many time zones and countries. If you’re looking to live the life of a digital nomad from a sandy beach in Mexico or a WiFi enabled hut in Thailand, this is the job for you! When a project requires collaboration we use shared workspaces, screen sharing, and voice over the internet to enable real-time discussions. If you can find a place with 5Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload then we encourage you to go there, experience the culture, and continue to be productive when you work.
The team is embracing the latest and greatest in technology to produce medical imaging software that will revolutionize the industry. We’re fully cloud deployed, using code as infrastructure, to automate everything and do it according to industry best practices with respect to security. If you want to use Meteor, Node.js, and MongoDB all deployed using the latest cloud technology you’re in the right place.
BASIC PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
Reporting to the VP, Engineering and Data Science, a Director of Engineering applies knowledge of industry best practices and software design patterns to build our cloud imaging platform, solve complex technical problems and create applications that delight our end customers.
OVERALL OUTPUTS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the focused execution of the product road map and deliverables with accountability over the outcome for releases
- Continue to grow the engineering and development team through hiring, coaching, development and engagement Develop, determine and implement engineering policies, procedures, and programs
- Align team responsibilities with product road map, including prioritizing and driving processes
- Eliminate barriers interfering with engineering team productivity
- Articulate business needs based on available data and make recommendations to senior leadership
- Partner with and manage external service providers as needed.
- Collaborate cross functionally with other departments to provide knowledge transfer and align activities and deliverables. Manage the escalation process
- Monitor service delivery and proactively address delivery concerns before service quality is impacted
- Continually improve processes, both planned and unplanned
- Hiring and dismissing of staff
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience leading a team of developers
- Bachelor’s degree within the engineering field
- Strong verbal and documentation communication skills
- Experience with Cloud based technologies such as PaaS, Data Center, Containers etc
- Experience with Agile development methodology
- Experience with Medical Imaging or Healthcare technology is a plus
SKILLS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Our group develops in Meteor, Node.js, C#, and C++ technologies. Candidates for this position should have:
- Strong object-oriented design skills
- Experience writing multi-threaded software
- Strong experience in one of the core programming frameworks/languages: Meteor, Node.js, and C++
- Experience with MongoDB or other NoSQL database is highly preferred
- Experience developing reusable HTTP RESTful APIs
- DICOM, HL7 and medical imaging software experience desired
- Experience leading small agile teams desired
- Telecommute/work from home or work from our office in San Diego, CA
- May require some travel to team meetings, etc.